Tom Broberg Is Right


After posting a column on Mitt Romney’s selection of Paul Ryan as his Vice-President candidate, I received some expected emails and feedback. One, in particular, was valuable to me.

            Thanks go to my friend Tom Broberg. He has been a faithful reader of my blog since its inception. Now, Tom is a conservative, and more importantly, he’s a small business owner and has had ventures in publications and off-road vehicle merchandise. I respect him as someone who has plenty of guts and business savvy.

            After the Romney post, Tom plainly told me my blog was getting BORING. He correctly stated that I had inserted too much politics. You know what? He is 100% correct.

            For some inexplicable reason, I’m fascinated with politics. While I lean toward a more liberal viewpoint, I do see some merit in some points that conservative folks make. Listening to the debates, I am sucked into the fray and end up giving my opinion. It’s not a smart thing to do.

            Some of my involvement comes from my age. Folks in my generation follow in the footsteps of their parents and their parents before them. In too many cases, people become stodgy old farts. Tom’s evaluation brought to mind the fact that I’m a carping, less-than-pleasant person to be around when I dive into the political arena.

            I know better than to get in such debates. During my teaching career, I was warned to avoid discussions on politics, religion, and war. I didn’t listen then, and sometimes I found myself in some uncomfortable situations.

            I appreciate Tom Broberg’s honesty about my recent postings. I see my mistake and plan to return to writing about topics other than politics. The rest of you who might read The Common Is Spectacular are more than welcome to make comments on posts. Sometimes they are the things that set me back on the right road.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I personally don't think Mr. Broberg was right. We all speak of what we know and just because you aren't of the conservative ilk, you are told you are "boring"? No, you are not boring now, nor have you ever been boring. When some people don't have the same outlook as you, they have to make an excuse for not wanting you to spread your liberal ideas so they will use tactics to get you to stop. In this case, Mr. Broberg was quite congenial in getting you to stop any further communication on subjects to which he was opposed. Congratulations, Mr. Broberg. It worked this time. Please continue on, Joe. We read your writings for a reason.

Jim Balch said...

Joe I seldom if ever agree with your politics, but I spent all of my adult life in my chosen profession defending your right to say what you think. Nothing makes for a more lively conversation than politics, and war. You just keep on keeping on. If everyone agreed with each other what a boring and dangerous world we would live in. Go for it Cus.