Parkwest Saves the Day

I don’t remember bringing up our children as being such a tough time. In part, that’s because I left too much for Amy to do. I’ve also been told that my memory isn’t so good. At any rate, dealing with a grandchild is almost more than I can handle…evidently.

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first. My grandson Madden made his first trip to our home without his parents on Thursday. Amy worked on Friday, so that left the boy and me to fend for ourselves.

Most of the day went splendidly. We visited KHS and my daughter’s favorite teacher from her time in school. Next, I took Madden to meet my long time friend Billy Hayes, who runs Quality Body Shop in Oak Ridge. Afterward, we arrived at home, and at some point, I fed the boy.

His parents are health-conscious individuals. I’m not so much so. Madden feasted on a bowl of spaghetti O’s and half a peanut butter sandwich. He was the meal down with a cup of milk. He finally lay down for a nap about noon but was up half an hour later.

We walked the yard and watched the trains going that pass close to our house. About 3:00, I noticed a little bump on his face. Within a minute, dozens more covered his face and neck, and by the time I got him into the house, the boy was covered.
To make a long story short, plenty of phone calls were placed to Amy at work and Lacey in Nashville. The pediatrician said that Madden probably had an allergic reaction to the peanut butter, which I discovered he’d never eaten and wasn’t to eat until after two years of age. A dose of Benadril should have fixed him up, but Madden woke, the rash still covered his body, and now his fingers and toes were a bluish color.

Immediately, I freaked out, and Amy and I rushed our little guy to Parkwest Hospital. The receptionist was rude, and when I complained about a possible anaphylactic reaction and bluish color of his extremities, she informed me that the staff would get to Madden as soon as possible.

THIRTY MINUTES later, we were called back. As soon as I spoke the words peanut butter, the entire staff of the emergency room at Parkwest sprang into action. Nurses and doctors came to Madden’s aid. They checked his vitals, looked at the rash, and asked questions. The genuine concern for our grandson was amazing.
Over the next 2 hours, no fewer than a dozen doctors and nurses stopped by to check on him. The last doctor to come examined Madden and said that his rash was not the result of eating peanut butter. It was some kind of rash that can be caused by a list of things as long as my arm. The bluish color is another symptom, and the doctor alleviated our fears even more when he told us that one of his children had dealt with the same thing not long ago.

We made it back home sometime around 11:00 p.m., and Lacey and Nick arrived from Nashville not long afterwards. Madden got up Saturday his usual loving, active self, and the rash had all but disappeared.

My praise goes to Parkwest Hospital Emergency staff. I’ve never had so much attention and care during a visit to any other place. I told one of the nurses that Madden couldn’t have received better care at Children’s Hospital. Everyone should know that Parkwest Hospital is a good place that offers the best of care from a dedicated staff. The only glitch is getting passed the receptionist at the front desk.

Parkwest Emergency Staff, THANK YOU for taking care of our grandson. We are indebted to you.

No comments: