A Dad's Look


Matt Lauer of the “Today Show” spoke about his son on the air today. He mentioned that the boy was a pro at the hula-hoop. The news wasn’t that striking, but the way that Lauer looked when he began talking about his son was something most folks couldn’t miss. Even a personality of such stature glows when the mention of a child enters a conversation. Something about a child turns on that glow in a dad’s eyes.

My dad died when Jim and I were only 13, so I can only speculate about how he looked at us. However, I have seen photos of Daddy when he held our older brother Dallas when he was a baby. The glow was there. Daddy could see what a beautiful person he’d just been given by the good Lord. He looked at that baby with a knowledge that great things could be reached. Had he lived, my dad would have been beaming as his three sons earned Master’s degrees. Education for his children was most important since he’d only finished the sixth grade.

When Lacey and Dallas were born, the glow came across my face. I couldn’t believe that something so precious had been entrusted to me. Over the course of their childhood, I made plenty of goofs. Sure, I was a task master and much too hard on them for inconsequential shortcomings. That didn’t keep me from being a proud dad when they excelled. Lacey was a tremendous musician, and had she stayed with the French horn, she might have earned a full ride through college. Each time she played that horn, I could feel the tears well up. She chose a different path for her life and was again honored for her accomplishments in college. I brag shamelessly about her awards then and her job with Sony Music now. Dallas made my heart swell with his baseball playing. Just the other day we talked, and I told him how much I miss watching him play. The game isn’t near so sweet now that he doesn’t play. This fall I’ve sat in front of a computer screen on Friday nights and watched via video camera as Dallas worked at WGOW in Chattanooga. He helped announce high school scores for the area. He’s gotten better each week, and I can’t wait to watch and hear him.

These days, I watch another dad glow. He’s Nick Chemsak, my son-in-law. Nick is a wonderful father who gives his attention and time to son Madden. The little guy adores his dad. Nick sits back and watches as new skills and acts come from his son each day. With each new word he says or each motor skill he develops, Nick watches with eyes filled with pride and love. I can assure my son-in-law that things will only get better as Madden continues to grow and learn.

Dads often times don’t do such a hot job of taking care of children. Sometimes they’re lazy. At other times they’re scared. Most of the time, however, dads are confused about what to do. Those men acknowledge shortcomings in so many areas. Still, they are our children’s number one fans. Fathers burst with pride at their children’s successes and try to lessen the pain of their failures. If anyone doubts that, he or she only needs to look into the eyes of a dad as he watches his child. That glow tells it all.

No comments: