Special Words Spoken on a Lawnmower


Those who know me can testify that one of my greatest joys is mowing the yard. Saturday once again brought about an incident to solidify my enjoyment of cutting the grass. It’s shocking what kind of wonderful things can be heard over the roar of a Kohler CV15S-41571, 1 cylinder gasoline engine.

Amy and I enjoyed a vacation with daughter Lacey, her husband Nick, and our grandson Madden the week before. For several days, we spent lazy hours sitting in chairs under an umbrella on Isle of Palms beaches, just fifteen minutes from my favorite city, Charleston. Amy and I have visited the place on several occasions.

Our children work hard but have little time and less money as young adults with a child and other financial responsibilities. Amy and I have been blessed and wanted to share with them, so we offered to take them on vacation. Dallas recently took on new duties in his job and was unable to go, a fact that disappointed me. Lacey and Nick worked things out so they could go. We all looked forward to a few days together.

Best of all, Madden enjoyed the time. His last trip to the beach came shortly after he turned a year old. So, this was his first real visit. According to his mom, the boy was bubbling with excitement for a couple of weeks before the trip and told everyone about the upcoming adventure.

At the beach, Madden attacked the ocean. After patiently waiting for his parents to unpack their car and then coat him with a thick layer of sunscreen, he ran across the beach and flopped into the water. For the next three days, this four-year-old walked miles between the water and umbrella. He stayed in the water with his dad and laughed as the waves crashed into him. He touched a small shark that a fisherman on the pier had hooked and found with his parents a hermit crab in its shell and a starfish.

We rose early on Saturday morning, packed the cars, and drove the six-hour trail back to Knoxville. Lacey and Nick decided to stop over for a while before continuing home in Nashville. Nick was carsick from the ride through the mountains from Asheville to Newport and lay down to allow his stomach to stop churning and his equilibrium to return. Lacey fed Madden some lunch and then played with him for a bit.

I went to the basement and drove out my John Deere riding lawnmower. Madden immediately came zooming around the house and was ready to ride. I scooped him up and sat him on my lap, and the two of us drove through the woods and into the open yard. For the next half hour Madden steered the mower up and down the lot, and he talked the entire time.
            Toward the end of the activity, he turned his head to the right and looked up at me. In a matter of fact manner, the boy stated,

“I love you…, and I like you too!”

It was one of the moments for which grandparents live.  I gave him a hug, said thank you, and then told him I loved and liked him too. He shook his head to indicate to me that he already knew that.

Not long after this conversation, he was too hot and tired to drive any more, and within thirty minutes, he and his parents continued their drive to Nashville. Hugs and kisses were exchanged, and as I hugged Madden one last time, I again told him that I loved and liked him. He squeezed my neck with a hug, gave me a kiss, and climbed into his car seat.

The days of vacation were wonderful for us all. I’m glad I had the chance to see Madden fall in love with the ocean. I’m glad we all had some relaxing times together. Most of all, I’m glad that my grandson told me he loved and liked me as we sat on the JD lawnmower. From now on, I’ll think of that time whenever I fire up the mower. It will make a job I love even more special.

No comments: