BACK AGAIN!


a man with a hand on his back Stock Photo - 13248714

An old friend dropped in 5-6 weeks ago and has stayed ever since. A back ache set in and has frustrated me to a breaking point. It’s also led to more visits to a doctor than anyone could stand.
During the first doctor’s appointment, the MD told me the problem was “billfold butt,” something we men suffer from as we ride a several-inch thick leather square in our back pockets. With that diagnosis, he sent me home with an anti-inflammatory and the promise of an impending shot of steroids in the hip area as the next step of treatment. 
Magically, the pain in my right hip disappeared, but unfortunately, another appeared in my left one, and it hung around 24/7. So, I traveled back to the doctor with the report of new developments. He wasn’t pleased about things and said the movement wasn’t necessarily a good thing. I agreed since the “discomfort” started in my lower back and went down my “bottom” and back of my leg and then made a turn around the front of my shin. I knew by the time I was sitting in the waiting room that my old friend “ a slipped disc” had made another appearance.
The next appointment was scheduled for an MRI. Over the years I’ve had between 8-10 for back problems. However, only the first two were in “closed” units. The feeling of being shoved into a garbage can where my breath hit the side, bounced off, and hit me in the face and the banging that sounded as if someone were playing the drums on the side of a can freaked me out. I was so claustrophobic that just the thought of sliding into the thing had me in a panic. Now, I go to a place that has an open MRI. It’s not much better, but at least a patient can see out the sides. ]
Only a couple of days later I was back at the doctor’s office for the results. The physician’s assistant came in and apologized. It seems that the orders were incorrectly written and the MRI was of my thoracic spine instead of the lumbar area. So, I would need to have a second imaging done. That meant another appointment for and MRI and then back to the doctor for results.
As I left the PA and approached the checkout desk, the clerk told me that I should remit my $50 co-pay. Incredulous, I stared at her and then told her I didn’t think it was fair that I had to pay for an appointment where the doctor tells me that his staff has made a mistake that results in my having to have another test. She indicated that I would be billed, at which point I told her that would be fine. I decided to let “Bulldog Amy” take care of any bill that came.
My wonderful wife had taken off work for the first test, so I asked a good friend to take me to the second one. I needed a ride since beforehand I downed a couple of Xanax to calm my nerves and my driving was problematic. This time I made sure the MRI was performed on the right area.
Yesterday, I called the doctor for results. They hadn’t been sent yet, nearly a week later. However, the doctor scheduled another appointment and promised to have the results when I got there.
            I know what the diagnosis is; at least I’m pretty sure that I’ve got another ruptured disc. Right now, I want to know and then I want some medicine that will help me get through the pain for the next 3-4 months. After vacations and more golf and yard mowing and summer activities, I’ll see about taking care of the problem. I just hope I don’t have too many appointments when that time comes.

UPDATE—Results are in.. Herniated disc at L4/5 and some at L6. Also another herniated disc on right side instead of “billfold butt.” UH-OH! Not a good report!

No comments: