Retired--Not Dead

Teachers returned to school for in-service training on August 10. I played golf. No, I’m not attempting to rub salt into any open wounds, but it is nice to be retired. Yet, retired isn’t exactly the right word. I’ve taken on other things that keep me busy and much more productive.

During the spring, my time was spent playing golf and sitting in front of a computer and writing columns, working on a book, and answering emails. I was out of bed at 6:30 a.m. when Amy got up. There were some guilty feelings associated with lying in the bed while my wife got ready for work.

It’s not clear to me, but somehow the day flew by, and I’d look up in shock at the time on the clock. Amy would ask what I did during the day, and the answer seemed to scream empty and unprofitable. Sure, I’d write between 2000 and 3000 words, but that shouldn’t have taken up the entire day.

Good fortune smiled on me when I received another chance to write for a paper. Since the first day, I’ve busier than a bird dog. Covering the news in Ball Camp, Cedar Bluff, Hardin Valley and Karns takes plenty of time. I am forever in search of a story. Instead of passing the morning reading the paper, working on the computer and watching “Judge Judy,” I hop in the car and travel to Sims Deli or the Karns Hardees. Groups of people are always there and sometimes give me leads on events in the area. I’ve taken in meetings and events and met plenty of new people, all who are more interesting than television personalities.

The other thing that’s happened is I accomplish so much more during the day. The “honey-do” list usually gets completed. I also can mow mine and my neighbor’s yard weekly without any trouble. Going to the grocery store is something I can do with ease.

The fact is a person has needs to keep busy when he or she retires. The picture that comes to mind with the mention of retirement is one of an older person passing his life away in a rocking chair. That kind of existence will kill anyone. Many people today, me included, are retiring from their careers at earlier ages.
Humans are created to be engaged. That means staying active in life’s happenings. Work sometimes is the key to emotional well being. It keeps people involved in something outside themselves. There’s a reason to get up in the morning. We’ve all heard stories about individuals who retire and go home only to die within a year. I’d say it’s because they weren’t busy enough.

I’m happy and thankful to be working. I don’t want any job to interfere with my golf time, but it’s for sure that Amy is glad to have me out of the house and to have things completed. Retirement should be called “retooling” these days as people find new interests and associations. Keeping active is the key. Hey, I’m retired, not dead!

No comments: